Water is one of our basic needs and what about when we will not have a drop of water. The way we are wasting water shows that the day is not far behind when there will be very little drinking water left on the planet. So, it is very necessary to save water which will also save us and our planet. Some unique essays here may help you to get a better understanding of the topic.
Short and Long Essays on Water Scarcity
Essay 1 (250 Words) - Facts about Water Scarcity
The human body is made up of 60% of water, which is more than half. Can you imagine if your body needs so much water then what about other animals and plants? Definitely, the percentage will differ in all of them; still, you can see the importance of water. I can say that we will die without water. All of us know how important water is then why are we so careless and don’t follow any steps for saving water? I have brought some facts about water scarcity and hope will provoke you to take some steps in water conservation.
Some Facts about Water Scarcity
- Not only in India but across the world more than half a billion people face water scarcity for more than 6 months in a year.
- There are many best cities in the world that are running a shortage of water.
- Every person uses more than 90 gallons of water every day.
- There are more than thousands of wells, borewells, and ponds dried in India.
- More than 3 to 4 million people die every year just because of the consumption of polluted water.
- Less than 1% of Earth's water is good for consumption and the percentage is decreasing day-by-day.
- More than a 100miilion people migrate due to drought as well as floods, every year.
The above data will definitely leave you thinking about the shortage of water. If you don’t face water shortage then you are blessed to live in a region where there is a required amount of water. But you should start taking some measures for water conservation; otherwise, soon there will be a day with no fresh source of drinking water on earth.
Essay 2 (400 Words) - Major Reasons for Water Scarcity
The world is continuously developing, we are developing and the nation is developing, development will be soon announced as the word of the decade. But all of us are so much concerned about developing ourselves that we have started neglecting some of our basic needs. Do you know what the important things we need to stay alive are? Of course, they are air, water, and food. We know the importance of these things still we care very less.
Reasons behind Water Scarcity
- Growing Population: It will be not wrong if I say that every year the population is growing in an uncontrolled manner. The growing population also requires enough food, water to live. So, the use of water has been increased in an uncontrolled way. The freshwater sources are very less as a comparison of the population and this is one of the major reasons behind water scarcity.
- Lack of Water Management System: There is no proper water management system in our country, especially in urban areas. We have bathrooms and whatever work we do the water goes in drains. There should be a different draining system so that we could reuse the water. Maximum kitchen wastewater can be recycled but due to improper water management systems, it is yet not possible for us. Apart from drainage, rainwater harvesting and other helpful factors are still red in books only. There are very few who apply those methods to save water.
- Deforestation: Plants not only gives us oxygen but also food and are also responsible for proper rain. They play a very important role and it has been measured that places with more plants have good rainfall in comparison to areas with fewer trees. When there will be proper rain there will be no scarcity of water. The growing industries and urbanization are the main reasons for deforestation.
- Dumping Waste: Most of the industries are constructed near riverside. Rivers are the major source of freshwater in India. These industries dump their waste in the river, not only industries but also human waste is dumped in rivers. As a result, they are polluted.
Everything needs care either it is air, water, or a relationship. We should always take care of our dear ones otherwise once you will lose them, it will be difficult for you to find it again. We cannot imagine life without water, not only humans, animals, plants, etc everyone needs water, still, we are so irresponsible. We should soon take some steps otherwise there will be a day when there will be no water to drink.
Essay 3 (600 Words) - Water Scarcity: Causes and How to Overcome it
Earth is known as a blue planet and today we are writing essays on the scarcity of water. Both are a bit contradictory but true. Although there is a lot of water on earth but very little to drink; a famous line of ‘The Rime of the Ancient Marine’ ‘Water-water everywhere but not a single drop to drink’ fits well. Which means there was water all around but was an ocean, which is salty in taste. The sailor in the poem was thirsty but was unable to drink the water around him. There are only 2 to 3% of freshwater sources on earth and the remaining is seawater.
Causes of Water Scarcity
There are different reasons behind water scarcity and I have mentioned them below:
- Global Warming: It is one of the major reasons for many problems like pollution, a rise in temperature, water scarcity, etc. Due to global warming, the icebergs are continuously melting due to the increase in temperature. These icebergs are melting into the sea and as a result, the salty water is increasing day by day instead of freshwater sources.
- Climate Change: There is a drastic decrease in the percentage of rainfall these days, which has directly affected our water bodies. Rain is one of the best sources of freshwater. We harvest rainwater and use it in multiple ways but due to the change in climate sometimes we face drought whereas sometimes we also face floods.
- Reduced Ground Water: Due to the increased population and excess extraction of groundwater many water bodies like well, lakes have dried. Their number is decreasing day-by-day. At first, it was seen in urban areas but now a day’s villages are also facing this issue. And if groundwater is available somewhere it is polluted.
- Pollution: We don’t care much about our rivers and lakes that is because we throw our waste in rivers. The very first thing is there is no water and what so ever is available we have polluted it. The very best example is the Yamuna River. It is nothing more than a drain now.
How to Overcome Water Scarcity
Our government has developed many plans for water conservation as I have mentioned some of them below:
- Jal Shakti Abhiyan: For the conservation of rainwater and proving fresh water to everyone. To conduct various camps to teach people the importance of water.
- Atal Bhujal Yojana: This is made for protecting the dying water bodies like wells, ponds, etc which also focus on the groundwater management system.
- Jal Jeevan Mission: This scheme is to focus on water availability in the urban and local areas. And they also focus on the management of household wastewater for agricultural purposes.
- Interlinking the Rivers: There is some Plateau river that dries in summers as a result people in that area face a lot of water scarcity. They are especially found in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, etc. So, to avoid drying these rivers there is a plan of interlinking the rivers. With the help of these rivers across the nation are interlinking and this has also reduced the water scarcity in summers in some special areas.
- Water ATM: Nowadays these water ATMs are quite famous; they will give you a liter or a glass of water as per your requirement. These machines are customized in such a way that they won’t let extra water to fall. This helps to reduce the wastage of water, especially on the railway stations and public areas.
- Rain Water Basins: Nowadays the government is concentrating on harvesting rainwater and big basins are made in villages and outer areas to save rainwater. These water basins are helpful in many ways. They increase the groundwater; they are also helpful in agriculture and in many other ways.
It is not only the government to bring such policies, but we should also follow some important measures and should not wastewater. Use if needed otherwise just off the tap and focus on saving water. Otherwise soon there will be a day when we will keep water in our safety lockers.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. Underground water is the biggest source of drinking water on earth.
Ans. There is only 2.5% of freshwater present on the earth.
Ans. Yemen is the country facing the highest water scarcity in the world.
Ans. The biggest source of water in India is the river Ganga.
Ans. The major factors responsible for water scarcity are climate change, increased pollution and population, and excess use of water.
Ans. Brazil is the country in the world that has the highest water resources.