The birthday of Gandhiji is celebrated by different nations in the world. The most important question that arises in our mind is that whether the Gandhian principles are applicable in the life of the people of this generation or not and will it be applicable in future generations. He is not only the father of the nation but the founder of different important ethical principles and moral values of life. Non-violence was his greatest weapon that is welcomed by people in all the nations of the world.
Is Gandhi Still Relevant - Long Essay
The long essay will enlighten you with the relevance of Gandhian ideas in this generation and future generations. I hope it might be useful to students and readers in getting a general idea on this topic.
Are Gandhi’s Ideologies and Principles Still Relevant Essay (1100 Words)
Many great personalities have taken birth in the world and are remembered by the people until generations. Mahatma Gandhi is also a name of a historical personality. No other person had been born that can be like our Bapu. He was a unique person with his own ideologies and values of life. He is also stated as the ‘Father of the Nation’ in India.
About Mahatma Gandhi
This sainted soul man was born to Putlibai and Karamchand Gandhi on 2nd October 1869 at Porbandar in Gujarat. His full name was Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. He was a student of law and completed his studies in London. He came back to India to practice law but could not do well. Thereafter he moved to South Africa and started social works after facing a lot of discrimination and injustice there.
Gandhiji always stood there against injustice with the people. The real Gandhi was born then during his struggles in South Africa. He further came to India and became a great political leader influencing the masses. It is very interesting to note down that this man by his noble ideas and principles wins the hearts of the masses and thus successful in making India an Independent Nation. The weapons of Gandhiji were truth and ahimsa.
Ideologies and Principles of Mahatma Gandhi
The life of Mahatma Gandhi sets a great example for us. He led his whole life according to some principles that were the results of his practical experiences of his life. He tested the truth by doing life experiments by himself. The ideologies, principles, and moral values of his life are the milestones for the people of this generation as well upcoming generations. Some of the principles of Gandhiji are enlisted below:
- Non-Violence - He was a great follower of non-violence. Gandhiji believed in finding some peaceful methods for different problems and injustices rather than using violent methods to tackle the situation.
- Truth - He believed that truth is only a thing that everyone searches for in their life. The path of truth will surely help us in making us successful in reaching our goals of life.
- Self-Reliant - Gandhiji believed in becoming self-reliant than depending on others for our needs. It will help in making our society as well nation to develop and progress. It will also help in enhancing the economic status of the nation.
- The Doctrine of Trusteeship - Gandhiji always focused on the disadvantageous sections of the society. According to him the rich people should think and do something for the poor people. They can help in uplifting the people of lower sections of the society.
- Equality and Brotherhood - He always said that no one should be discriminated against on the basis of caste, religion, creed, sex, etc. He desired a nation with proper unity and brotherhood among the people of the nation.
Relevance of Ideas of Gandhiji in 21st century
The relevance of Mahatma Gandhi and his ideas in today’s modern world seems to be lost. Here are some aspects discussed that focuses on the existence of Gandhian ideologies in the 21st century.
- The riots based on caste and religions - The terrorist attacks on different countries, riots between people on account of caste and religion, wars, etc. lead to bloodshed and destruction. Many people also lose their lives during these conditions. According to Mahatma Gandhi, Non-Violence is the greatest weapon. He not only preached about non-violence but also practiced it during the freedom struggle. The people in today’s world are never ready to be slapped on the other side but choose to slap the person in response. People have become blind under the influence of greed, power, position, money, corruption, etc.
- Environmental destruction - Gandhi focused greatly on the concept of Ahimsa. Ahimsa is not only to be practiced in wars, riots, or fights but also with other living organisms on the earth. The destruction of environment by cutting of trees is also ahimsa. The developing technologies have led the construction of several projects and development works that involves the destruction of environmental factors. The destruction of the environment is also against the ideologies of Mahatma Gandhi. If we would have followed the Gandhian ideology then these issues would never come.
- Social welfare - Gandhiji always included the poor in any of the movements or schemes of the nation. He said that the economic growth of the nation can only happen when the differences between rich and poor people come to an end. This can only happen when we think of the poor people when we work. India is an agricultural nation and the majority of the population resides in the rural areas of the nation. There must be several policies and programs for the development of the rural areas of the nation.
But the scenario in today’s world is totally different. The policies and programs initiated by the government are involving the corporate sectors and thus they are the most benefitted groups. The ideas of Mahatma Gandhi were related to the social welfare of the real backbone of India i.e. the villages. In this advanced era, everyone is busy in their own world and do not have time for humanity.
Is Gandhi Ji Relevant in Today’s World?
The values and principles of Mahatma Gandhi are a great inspiration for not only the people of India but the entire world. The people in today’s world are not following these principles and values in their life. I think it is more confined to the books rather than having its relevance in real life. There are very few among us who opt to live a truthful life. There is no country devoid of terrorist attacks or violence in this world. Several attacks in this world provoke violence. This is most devastating full of destruction and bloodshed.
The 21st century is the era of science and enormous technological developments are taking place in different nations of the world. During this time every nation and people are busy competing with each other in order to achieve best. I think the ideology of Mahatma Gandhi has been diminished in this technological world and has been restricted up to the written scripts like books and thoughts. The ideologies of Mahatma Gandhi have been left far behind by today’s generation.
The people of the world need to bring the ideologies and principles of Gandhiji into their life. This will only help us in creating a nation that will be giving equal rights and resources to everyone. There is a Gandhi in each of us but we need to recognize the same. The Gandhian principles and values will surely lead us towards success in life.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. The birthday of Mahatma Gandhi on 2nd October is celebrated as ‘International Day of Non-Violence’ internationally.
Ans. Sarojini Naidu led the Salt Satyagraha Movement along with Mahatma Gandhi.
Ans. This slogan was given by Mahatma Gandhi in Quit India Movement.
Ans. Gopal Krishna Gokhale was the political guru of Mahatma Gandhi.
Ans. Subhash Chandra Bose gave the title of the Father of the Nation to Mahatma Gandhi.