The digitalization is considered as the third industrial revolution or the digital revolution which began in the 20th century. Now we are shifting towards the digital era where everything is turned digitalized. The applications of digital technology are spread everywhere, in every aspect of human life. Moreover, today it is very rare to point out any sector which is out of reach of any kind of digital technology.
10 Lines Essay on Digitalization
1) Digitalization refers to the adoption of digital means to enhance the existing process.
2) It helps in the social and economic growth of the country.
3) Digitalization saves our time and money.
4) Digitalization offers more job opportunities.
5) Digitalization increases business productivity.
6) It increases efficiency of the business with reduced cost.
7) Privacy and security issues are major concerns.
8) Many programs like Digital India, Make in India, etc are proposed by the Indian government.
9) It played an important role during Covid pandemic.
10) Digitalization has flourished in the fields of banking, education, healthcare, etc.
Long Essay on Digitalization Essay in English
Here, I’m providing an essay on The Era of Digitalization. It would be helpful for you to understand different aspects of digitalization. You can use this essay in schools as well as for self-knowledge.
1400 Words Essay - 21st Century: The Era of Digitalization
On 1 July 2015, the government of India launched the “Digital India” campaign. The main motive of this campaign is to ensure that all the government facilities should reach the rural areas electronically. The digital revolution aims to reduce corruption and settle transparency in the government system.
What is Digitalization/ History
Digitalization refers to the process of enhancing existing business processes with the help of new digital technologies. Digitalization began in the 20th century after the emergence of computers.
The first instance of digitalization was seen in the banking system. Keeping all the records digitally instead of noting down in papers proved very useful. After that, the emergence of ATMs (Automated Teller Machines) was a revolutionary introduction in banking sectors.
Then various online trading platforms come into play. There have been notable developments in the field of payment networks, internet banking, etc.
By 2019, most of the companies had adopted digital transformation. Technologies like Google, Facebook, amazon, etc become part of our day-to-day life.
The healthcare sectors have increased their fields using various digital appliances. Now, digitalization can be seen in every field whether it is the financial sector, automotive sector or business processes.
Digitalization vs Digitization vs Digital Transformation
Many people get confused with these terms and think that all of these are the same but are different terms connected to each other.
Digitization is the prerequisite for digitalization as it makes use of digitized information in its process.
For example, writing an article in a digital document is referred to as digitization but uploading it to the network so that everyone can use it, is referred to as digitalization.
Digital transformation is the superset of digitalization. The complete transformation or conversion of any firm or business process into digitalization is termed as digital transformation.
Digitalization upgrades the existing process. However, it does not change the process. But the complete shift of the existing non-digital process to digital process is termed as digital transformation.
Purpose of Digitalization
The main purpose of digitalization is to turn non-digital applications to digital applications. Some purpose of digitalization includes:
- Increase efficiency of the system
- Reduced cost and higher productivity
- Automation for human ease
- Reduce unwanted risk
Applications of Digitalization
- Digitalization in Banking: Digitalization has increased the efficiency of the banking sector. Now, banks provide us the facility to send money to anyone from anywhere. We need not to go to banks to check the balance. Digital currency and digital payments are taking the world to a new direction. The RBI is trying to settle cashless India.
- Digitalization in Education: Education became interesting for the students only due to the emergence of digital technology. Learning with the help of videos and animations make it easier for children to grasp the topic quickly. Various online courses along with digital textbooks are available to modify the education sector.
- Digitalization in Agriculture: A huge advancement is seen in the field of agriculture. It also increased agricultural productivity. Farmers can seek help from technologies for soil analysis or to check favorable weather for crops.
- Digitalization in Business: Digitalization has increased the efficiency of business processes in many ways. It helped to increase productivity with less operational cost. It also helped people to set up local businesses with great profit.
- Digitalization in Healthcare: Healthcare facilities are improved with the use of digital technologies. Patients are treated with high technological devices. It also helped doctors to do research, explore the disease and cure. However, it also helped in keeping proper patients and doctors’ records. Wearable devices like Fitbit bands are helpful in minor health control.
Advantages and Disadvantages/ Challenges of Digitalization
Some advantages of digitalization are as follows:
- Quick Access to Information: With the help of newer technologies, it is easy to access information through the internet anytime from anywhere.
- Saves Time: Most of the work can be done online through mobile phones. In fact, we need not to go to banks or any physical stores, everything can be done online.
- Saves Money: Since humans can do everything by sitting at their home therefore, the travelling money is saved.
- Ease to Communication: Now, we can communicate with people sitting in any corner of the world. Video callings are very common these days.
- However, we all are well aware of the famous saying “most good things come with bad thing”. And so is digitalization. Some disadvantages are listed below:
- Required Skilled Workers: Due to advancement in things, skilled workers are required to operate the devices and also to rectify the problem.
- Privacy: Digital technology keeps the record of different individuals and organizations on the network. All the data and information are managed on the network therefore; it is very difficult to protect the privacy.
- Security Threat: Networks are the hub for cyber-crimes. Security threats like hacking are a major concern while using digital technologies.
- Addiction: Some digital technologies like social media, online games, etc are very addictive. This results in wastage of time.
- Less Social Interaction: Today everyone is using digital means to communicate with each other. The physical interaction is decreasing day by day. Due to which humans can feel isolation and are easily prone to depression.
Impact of Digitalization in Indian Economy
The impact of digitalization has proved fruitful for the economy of India. The government of India is taking various steps to digitalize the country, so that people enjoy its various services.
Digitalization is also responsible for the development of the country. Digitalization also affects the growth of the economy in various ways. Setting up new job opportunities for youths successfully helped in flourishing the economic growth.
The government of India has taken many steps to digitalize India. The Indian government came up with the concept of e-Governance, in order to digitalize and improve the government services. In 2006, the government proposed the National e-Governance Plan (NeGP). But the results were not very significant.
In 2015, the government of India proposed “Digital India”. The concept of “Cashless India” was pushed forward and is working very well. According to the government it could be helpful in reducing the case of terrorism and money laundering in the country.
Digitalization during Covid Pandemic
During the outbreak of Covid-19 pandemic, there has been a massive shift toward digitalization. It protected the safety and well-being of humans to a great extent. More human gathering is responsible for more spread of the virus. Therefore, in order to save oneself from the pandemic, everyone needs a contactless medium to lead a peaceful life. This was greatly fulfilled by digital technologies.
Huge transformation is seen in the field of education. Students can carry out their studies without going to schools. Online schooling helped children to continue their class from home.
The new technologies helped researchers to “track and trace” the outbreak of pandemic. In order to fight this pandemic, it was very important to have complete knowledge of the outgoing in the country. People were well aware of the rising cases and dangers of this pandemic.
New devices helped doctors in understanding the effects of Covid-19. They were working hard with the help of various digital technologies to stop the spread of the pandemic. However, the process of vaccination was held easily due to digitalization.
Contactless banking and payments methods helped people to carry out their tasks. Online grocery, online pharmacies, online recharge and bill payments would help to control the wide spread of Corona virus in the country.
Future of Digitalization
After noticing the importance of digital technologies in our daily life, we can say that digitalization has become the need of the hour. The live example is the Corona pandemic. The battle with this virus was possible only because of digitalization.
The modern public requires modern techniques. Humans are addicted to the taste of technologies; therefore, they are expecting more new technologies to simplify their job. New technologies like Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Internet of Things (IoT) are considered as the future of the nation.
However, the era of digitalization is bringing a promising future for the world.
Digitalization is all about the internet. Therefore, it is considered as the backbone of digitalization. In order to shift India from developing country to developed country the adoption of Digitalization is important. However, it does involve some risks, challenges and disadvantages but we cannot neglect its importance in our day-to-day life.
I hope the above given essay on digitalization would be helpful for you. I have tried to keep the language easy for your better understanding.
Related Link :
- Essay on Cryptocurrency and Issues Related To It
- Essay on Blockchain
- Essay on Internet of Things (IoT)
- Essay on Hyperloop
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions on Digitalization
Ans. Belgium, Canada, Norway, etc are considered as the most cashless countries in the world.
Ans. Prime Minister of India Mr. Narendra Modi proposed the Digital India campaign.
Ans. The United States is considered as the most digitalized country in the world according to the 2021 report.
Ans. Data security, insufficient skills and knowledge, lack of capital, etc. can act as barriers in the process of digitalization.