A parrot is a charming bird with colourful plumes. It is also known for its intelligence. It has a capability to learn as well as produce different voice. These distinct features of parrot make people to get attracted and keep them as their pets. They usually reside in groups and are social in nature.
Short and Long Essays on Parrot in English
The following essays may help you to write on parrot for your school's assignments.
Parrot Essay 10 Lines (100 - 150 Words)
1) Parrot is a colorful bird with a beautifully curved beak.
2) Parrot is of different colors but mainly found in green color.
3) Parrot is an intelligent and attractive bird.
4) Parrot can mimic humans and are capable to learn quickly.
5) Parrots can eat seeds, nuts, fruits, small insects, etc.
6) Parrots can live up to 70 to 80 years.
7) Parrots are social and human-friendly birds.
8) The IQ level of a parrot is equal to a 5-year old child.
9) About 390 species of parrot can be found all over the world.
10) A parrot can weigh 1 to 4 kg and can grow up to 9 feet.
Essay 1 (250 Words) - Parrot: Attributes
The term Parrot as soon as strikes to my mind, an image of a bird saying ram-ram and many other words is depicted, as there is one pet parrot in my neighborhood. Parrots are one of the most intelligent birds among the intelligent birds of nature. They are provided with the talent to mimic the human voice. They have been pictured in various movies and shows because of their intelligence only. Example Alex in Delhi Safari.
Attributes of a Parrot
Parrot is distinguished with a strong and curved beak, small body, and 8 clawed feet, with each foot having two toes in front and two in back. There are many species with distinct body colors and features. The male and female genders could not be separated merely by vision. They usually reside in groups and fly in flocks.
They feed on various seeds, fruits, nuts, vegetables, and small insects too. When these birds are domesticated then they should be kept with care and fed with proper diet along with maintenance of cleanliness. They usually learn a lot from the environment in which they reside and also from humans. Some of the species of parrots have a life span as long as 70 years. But on average, the life span is of 30-50 years.
It is due to its attractive feature and charming nature, it is domesticated by many people.
Parrots are enchanting and attractive birds with distinct features. They are friendly with human beings. They symbolize happiness and well-being.
Essay 2 (400 Words) - Habitat and Some Special Facts about Parrot
Parrots are one of the beautiful bird creatures of this universe provided with immense intelligence. They are having their IQ level equivalent to a 5-year-old child. They are often chosen by human beings as their pets because of their variety in colors, charming, intelligent, and social nature.
Habitat of Parrots
They find it suitable to live in tropical climates and dwell in the cavities of the old deciduous trees and rock crevices. Parrots are mostly found in the warm climatic areas of the world. Some of the species are suitable for the colder climate.
Some Special Facts about Parrot
- Parrots can emit the human voices very clearly and, do not have vocal chords. We would have heard about common saying, learning like a Parrot.
- They can use their feet for eating food, and beak for climbing and holding purpose.
- They easily learn about what they notice in the surrounding.
- Some of the species of parrots have a life span of about 80 years.
- Parrot is viviparous, they lay eggs without the act of mating also. The difference between fertilized and unfertilized egg is that unfertilized egg won’t hatch.
- Parrots can recognize taste i.e. sweet, bitter, or sour.
Parrots: as a Part of Culture
Parrots are a symbolic representation of national flags of different countries. The name of parrot is depicted in various stories, tales, humorous and religions. Different species of parrots are considered to be the sign of well being and beauty. In ancient times they were domesticated as they were a sign of royalty.
People use the feathers of the parrots for the decoration purpose. It has been considered popular in Buddhist art and scriptures; there we can find many stories related to the parrots.
Psittacosis - Disease in Parrots and Other Birds of the Same Family
It is a bacterial disease in many of the birds, thus making the bird ill and dying. This is also a great cause of a decline in the parrot’s population. This disease is very contagious in birds and also gets transmitted to human beings by birds.
The bacteria enter in the bird’s digestive tract or respiratory tract. Healthy birds get infected by the dust or air particles containing the infected dried droppings. It can also enter by consuming contaminated food and water. The bird becomes ill in a slow manner. Many of the birds are also the carrier of this disease.
Therefore it is advised to take care of the pet birds. If we are keeping birds as pets, then we should take proper care of their sanitation and living.
From long ago parrots have been kept as pets. They are having great compatibility with human beings. Even they are not shy and fearing from humans. The great concern should be on their care and protection.
Essay 3 (500 - 600 Words) - Intelligence of Parrots, Parrots as Pet and Parrots at Risk of Extinction
Parrots are the members of Psittacidae, which contains more than 350 species. Some of the species include Macaws, Amazons, lovebirds, Cockatoos. The different species of parrots are colorful and with distinct features. Parrots have characteristic body features. It has a strong beak, having four toes on each foot, and laterally placed eyes on the head. They usually live in groups and also fly in groups. Some of the species are deprived of flying.
Intelligence of Parrots
- Parrots are basically feeding on seeds, but several seeds may have a hard covering or covered with some chemicals so that it may not get destroyed. When the bird feeds on the seeds, it sensibly removes the covering of the seed so that chemicals may not affect the bird.
- Parrots are the best imitators of voice. They can mimic the human voice very well. They are very social creatures and try to understand the situation.
- Parrots are made to work for entertainment purpose in circus, as they have good sense and are capable to attract people.
- Parrots are used by fortune tellers to pick the cards.
Parrots as Pet
There had been a provision of keeping a parrot as pets from the ancient period. Their uniqueness has attracted men for a longer period of time. They are having the capability to adjust with the human being as well as sensible too.
To keep bird in a cage is not good to act according to me, as it could not enjoy the freedom of its life in a small cage. But if they are kept as pets, then it is necessary to look after them in a proper way.
- The cages of the birds should be cleaned on daily basis, as dirty cages are subject to infection.
- The cages must be larger so that birds can move from one place to another. They must be properly fed a nutritious diet.
- The bird should be taken to the veterinary doctor for regular checkups. The bird requires regular trimming of beak, nails, and feathers.
- If anyone is taking a decision of keeping a parrot as a pet, they should be responsible for taking its care for a longer period of time, as they have a longer lifespan.
- Parrots are birds that require the attention and care of the owner. If the same is not provided, then the bird might become aggressive and may cause damage to it by plucking its feathers and become wounded.
Most of the time it has been seen that people could not manage pet birds for a longer time and thus hand over to others, and therefore the bird has to spend its life with many owners.
Parrots at Risk of Extinction
Different species of parrots are facing the risk of extinction and many have been grouped under endangered species. Habitat destruction, fragmentation, hunting, captivity, are the factors leading these species towards extinction. The parrots are usually dwelling in the bark of the older trees but, due to extensive cutting of trees these birds are losing their habitats and have to face competition for food and space.
Second most important reason for their extinction is domestication of these birds because of their attractive features. They are used for trade purposes.
They are also playing a major role in the dispersion of seeds and maintaining ecological balance. Therefore there is the utmost need to conserve these birds otherwise; it will be difficult to see them in the future.
Parrots add beauty to our biodiversity. The young ones of parrots are very colorful and cute in appearance. We should make effort from our side that keeping birds in cages must be stopped. They should also enjoy freedom. If somebody is keeping a bird as a pet, they must ensure its care and freedom too.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. The scientific name of the parrot is Psittaciformes.
Ans. Yes, parrots can easily mimic the human voice.
Ans. The life of a parrot is about 40-80 years.
Ans. A parrot spends 12 hours in sleeping and remains awake for the other 12 hours.
Ans. The African Gray parrot is stated as the most intelligent parrot species in the world.