Most of us have a deep interest in sports and games. We love to talk about and watch our favourite sportsperson playing. The way they play the game inspires us. We have a keen desire to know about their life history, achievements and choices of our favourite sportsperson. There are some special features which make a particular sportsperson as our favourite one.
Short and Long Essays on My Favourite Sportsperson in English
Essay on My Favourite Sportsperson for students of class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and class 12 in English in 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 500 words. Also find short My Favourite Sportsperson essay 10 lines.
My Favourite Sportsperson Essay 10 Lines (100 – 150 Words)
1) I love watching cricket and my favorite sportsperson is M.S. Dhoni.
2) Mahendra Singh Dhoni is a famous Indian cricketer from Bihar.
3) Dhoni always impresses people with his excellent wicket keeping.
4) He played and won many matches for India.
5) He is also considered a good finisher.
6) India won the World Cup in 2011, under the captaincy of this good player.
7) He won many prizes for his hard work in cricket.
8) Mahi is also awarded Padma Bhusan, Padma Vibhusan, and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna.
9) In the Indian Premier League, Dhoni plays under Chennai Super Kings.
10) His simplicity, skills, and talent make him my favorite.
Essay 1 (250 Words) – My Favourite Sportsperson: Sachin Tendulkar
Cricket is one of the interesting games which I love to watch on television. Many of us have an addiction to watch sports because of the sportsperson we admire. Sachin Tendulkar is my favourite sportsperson who popularly known as the “God of Cricket”.
My Favourite Sportsperson – Sachin Tendulkar
Sachin Tendulkar’s full name is Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar. He was born on 24th April 1973 in Dadar, Mumbai. His father was a poet and novelist, and his mother worked in an insurance firm. Sachin Tendulkar started playing cricket at the age of sixteen but joined Cricket at eleven. His first debut match was against Pakistan. He is also called “Master Blaster”. He is the most respected cricketer in the world.
He is known to be the perfect batsman of his time. He also did bowling hence is an all-around performer. Besides being a good cricketer he is also a man of kind nature. He never has argued with any of the bowlers or team members. He treated everyone nicely on the field. The cricketer is loved in the whole world for his kind attitude and humble nature. He also helps students who want to learn cricket.
Sachin Tendulkar made remarkable achievements in the field of cricket. He was the first batsman to make a double century in a One Day International match. He had been awarded by Arjuna award in 1994 for the achievement he made in cricket. Sachin also has been awarded by Rajeev Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 1997-98, which is India’s highest sporting honour. Sachin Tendulkar has been awarded by Padma Shri in 1999, Padma Vibhushan in 2008, and Bharat Ratna in 2014.
Sachin Tendulkar is a legend of cricket. He is a role model and inspiration to many of the young aspirants.
Essay 2 (400 Words) – My Favourite Sportsperson: Saina Nehwal
I am fond of playing badminton. It is my favourite sport which I play regularly especially during winters. Saina Nehwal is my favourite sportsperson. I love to watch her playing. The confidence and flexibility by which she plays a match inspire me.
About My favourite Sportsperson
Born on 17 March 1990 in Hisar, Haryana, Saina Nehwal is a famous badminton player. Her father Harvir Singh Nehwal was also a badminton player at the university level during his college days. He was transferred from Haryana to Hyderabad. Saina started playing badminton in Hyderabad. Her mother Usha Rani Nehwal was also a state-level Badminton player. Saina Nehwal was inspired by her mother and wanted to make her dreams true of becoming a national player so took up Badminton.
Saina Nehwal and her parents faced a lot of adversities before becoming famous badminton player. Her parents had to face a lot of problems. They made many sacrifices to support Saina financially. Her father was a government employee and received a salary in a fixed amount. This amount was not enough to support the financial requirement for the game as well as other expenditures of the family.
In spite of all problems, her parents did not move back and provided her with everything she required. The real hard work and dedication made her become the Famous Badminton player of India. Saina Nehwal is a focused player, laden with simplicity and kindness. She established many records in Badminton.
Achievements of Saina Nehwal
• Saina Nehwal has bagged up many awards and medals in Badminton.
• She has won 24 international Titles, including seven supertitles.
• She represented India thrice in the Olympics and won the Bronze medal in the second appearance.
• When she started playing she attained second ranking in the world in 2009, later in 2015 she was at the top i.e. having 1st ranking in the world. She gave a new height to India in the field of Badminton.
• She is only an Indian who has been victorious in every Badminton World Federation major individual event and won at least one medal in each. She also won gold in Commonwealth women’s singles.
• Saina Nehwal became India’s first female and youngest player of Asia to win a 4-star tournament.
• She has been awarded by Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and Arjuna Award. She had been conferred by Padma Bhusan in 2016.
Saina Nehwal is a successful famous Indian badminton player. She gave popularity to the badminton sport in India and also won many awards and medals. She is also called the “Darling Daughter of India”.
Essay 3 (500 – 600 Words) – My Favourite Sportsperson: Milkha Singh
The word favourite sportsman brings a picture of Milkha Singh to my mind. I had a great liking for this sport as well as a sportsman from the beginning but was much impressed after watching the movie “Bhaag Milkha Bhaag” which has been made on the life history of Milkha Singh.
The Life Story of Milkha Singh
The life of Milkha Singh is very was full of misery. He faced a lot of troubles in his childhood. He was born on 21st November 1929 as stated by records of Pakistan. In actual his birth date is uncertain. The place of his birth was Govindpura, a village 10 km from Muzaffargarh district which is now situated in Pakistan. The whole family of Milkha Singh was killed in the violence that arose during the partition, except him and a sister who had been married and was staying in Delhi. Milkha Sigh had witnessed the killing of his whole family and manages to escape to save himself. He came to India from Pakistan. He spent some years at his sister’s house as no one was left except a sister.
He was totally depressed because he was orphaned and left with no motive in his life. Later he was guided by Malkhan Singh to apply for the Indian Army recruitment. He also got selected over there. It was then he realized his own talent and capability of fast running. He was not selected when he first tried for 200m and 400m races. The second time he won the race and then was selected for the training.
Awards and Achievements
- Milkha Singh won many awards for our country and also represented India in international games.
- He was the first Indian male individual to win a gold medal for athletics in commonwealth games in Independent India.
- He represented India in the 1956 Melbourne Olympics. He tried his best to win the race of 400 and 200 metres and performed well in the initial rounds but could not win in the final round. He was able to learn from his mistake and also inspired by the other champions of the game. According to him, he lost the game but learnt a lot from it.
- He won gold medals for 400m and 200m race in Asian games in 1958 and 1962. He also made a record for 200m and 400m track in the same event.
- He represented India in Rome Olympics in 1960 and the Tokyo Olympics in 1964. He lost the race in Rome Olympics by a very minute difference of time i.e. 0.1 seconds.
- In 1960, he raced against Abdul Khaliq in Pakistan and won the race. He was conferred the title of “Flying Sikh” by the Pakistan General Ayub Khan.
- He has been awarded by Padma Shri in 1958 and later with Arjuna award in 2001, but he refused to accept Arjuna award as this must be given to young sportsmen who really deserve to be honoured.
Later, Milkha Singh got married to Nirmal Kaur, former team captain of the Indian Volleyball team. He was promoted to Joint Commission Officer from the post of a subedar. He was given the position of director of sports in the Punjab Ministry of Education and retired from that post in 1998.
Moral from Life of Milkha Singh
Many people including me are inspired by the life of Milkha Singh. He was a man of courage. His entire life was full of misery. He suffered a lot in his childhood, but a salute to his courage and talent. There are many people who chose the wrong path in adverse conditions. We also get a lesson to learn from our mistakes. According to Milkha Singh success cannot be achieved by shortcuts. It requires hard work, motivation and proper guidance.
Milkha Singh is the pride of our nation. He made remarkable achievements in Athletics. “The Race of Life” is an autobiography of Milkha Singh and further a movie Bhaag Milkha Bhaag was made on his life which was directed by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. The word sport has originated from the French word ‘desport’ that means leisure.
Ans. Hardworking, optimistic, enthusiastic, fair playing, respectful are the qualities of a true sportsman.
Ans. Norman Pritchard was the first sportsperson in athletics in India.
Ans. Milkha Singh who was an Indian track and field athlete is called as Flying Sikh of India.
Ans. The plural of a sportsperson is termed as sportspeople.