Adult education is of much importance to people who could not complete their education due to certain reasons. It is the act of imparting education along with the overall development of the individual. There are many courses offered by schools, colleges, and universities. Some courses are also facilitated with online and distance learning benefits. Here are some of the fresh essays you can read to know in detail about adult education.
Short and Long Essays on Adult Education
Essay 1 (250 Words) – Adult Education Benefits
Everybody has the right to education. Education helps in the overall development of an individual. Adult education is related to educating adults and mature people.
Generally, we have observed students attending schools and colleges for getting an education. In the same way, adult education is about educating the adult people who have crossed out of the student age. Adult education is basically meant for the people who had to discontinue their education due to some financial crisis or family problems and for the people who want to get educated at this phase of life.
Benefits of Adult Education
Adult education facilitates people with skills development programmes. People can learn different skills to get better employment opportunities. There are some people who are good at different skills or we can say talented, but never got an opportunity to brush up their skills. The adult education programme will provide them with this opportunity.
The development of any country depends upon its people. If the people of the country are literate, the country will progress. The adult population of India is more than the youth population and literacy of the adult people is very important. Adult education is giving a chance to many people to complete their studies, learn some new skills, and start fresh studies so that they may be benefitted from a good job and carrier. The women can also opt for this learning as they can get employed with a good job after completing the education.
It is important for every individual to attain education. Illiterate people are like a burden on the earth. So, adult education is a golden opportunity for the people interested to get educated at this stage of life.
Essay 2 (400 Words) – Adult Education: Need and Challenges
Adult education is based on educating mature people having a desire to learn. Learning is a process that is carried out throughout life. Adult education provides mature learners to develop their skills and learn different new skills.
Illiteracy Accounts for the Backwardness of the Country
Illiteracy is an obstacle in the development of the country. Illiterate people cannot get employed as they do not have knowledge or skills. They are unable to understand things. They can easily become subject to fraud and crimes. Due to a lack of knowledge and education, they easily are influenced by social evils. This is a prominent reason for the stunted growth of the nation.
The country needs skilled people for different jobs. This will help in increased productivity. Adult education not only aims at providing basic education or skill development. It also teaches the culture and values of life. This furnishes the society with better people with good moral values and an understanding of social problems. The people can also participate in decision-making programmes which lead to the upliftment of the society and ultimately leading to the progress of the nation.
The Need for Adult Education
The population count of adult people in India is large. Many of them are illiterate. When such a large number of people in a country are devoid of education, the country cannot progress. The main focus must be laid on Adult education. This will make people equipped with different skills and techniques. The skilled man force is the demand of the industries and recruiters.
There are a lot of reasons due to which many people could not continue for higher studies or opt for the course which they had an interest in. Adult education will enable people to complete their studies if they were not able to complete the same when they were a student. This will help them to get job opportunities in their own field of interest. It is also useful for people who require a promotion in their jobs.
Adult education aims to help in attaining literacy. The country will progress if it will have a good education, good health, and hygiene of the people. It will also help in the upliftment of women. They can opt for learning various skill development programmes and do jobs. Educating a woman leads to the development of families, society, and nation. Women can become self-dependent by attaining education and earning money.
Challenges in Adult Education
- The learners are adult people who have many family responsibilities and works. They find difficulty in managing their time for attending the classes regularly.
- The people are not willing to go to schools again as they feel shame in continuing the studies again. They feel hesitation in attending regular classes. They feel less confident and fear failure.
- It is difficult for people to maintain the balance between their family life, job, and school time. Therefore they do not want to opt for an adult learning program.
- Many people have a money crisis and therefore it is difficult for them to pay the course fee.
- People lack the motivation that is required for learning. Motivation is essential for continuing the studies after a gap.
- The speed of learning in adult people is slow as compared to the actual learners. They are not ready to accept the newer concepts and ideas as they think that what they know is the best.
The development of a country is only possible if the people of the country are literate. The thinking of people is changing and they are moving towards attaining various vocational courses and training to become successful.
Essay 3 (600 Words) – Adult Education in India and Its Importance
Every individual has a dream to achieve something in life. Many of them get a proper chance and resource availability to fulfill their dreams, but due to certain reasons, others cannot do the same. The reason may be prolonged illness, financial crisis, early marriage, etc. Adult Education focuses on giving a chance to such adult individuals who had been devoid of studies earlier and want it to continue once more. It also provides an opportunity for education to the people who are illiterate.
Importance of Adult Education
- Adult education can help in increasing the literacy rate of the country. The main focus of the programme is to provide education to adult people who are illiterate or willing to learn some skills. The adult population is more than the youth population; therefore the idea of educating the mass will surely help in increasing the literacy rate and development of the country.
- There are many people working in different sectors for a longer period of time. The advancement in technology is a great issue for them as they cannot cope up with the updated technology and machines. There are many programmes which can be chosen by people facing such problems. It helps them in developing along with technology.
- It helps in making people, especially women to become self capable.
- Adult education along with providing basic education and skills development programmes in various disciplines also teaches moral values, rules, and duties. This makes a person to take part in decision making for the development of the society and nation.
- It provides a second chance to the people who are interested in completing the studies which they could not finish at a young age. This will help in developing their skills and providing them with better carrier options.
Adult Education in India
Adult education is meant for improving the literacy rate of our nation. There had been several efforts in the direction of promoting adult education in India. After independence, it was necessary to enhance the literacy rate by motivating people for attaining education. This will help in increased productivity and development of the nation. The government has launched several programmes to foster Adult Education and thus reduce illiteracy. The programmes are Social Education, Gram Sikshan Moohim, Farmer Functional Literacy Project, Functional Literacy for Adult Women, National Adult Education Programme, and State Adult Education programme.
Among all the programmes launched by the government for promoting Adult education, the National Literacy Mission had gained importance. It was launched in 1988 with an aim to impart education to people of age 15-35. The plan had great success in its implementation as 127.45 million people were turned to literate, out of which 60% were females.
It was observed that according to the census 2001, the literacy rate of males was higher than that of females. Therefore to foster the Adult Education and focus on Educating Women, two new schemes had been introduced by the government “Saakshar Bharat” and “Scheme for support to Voluntary Agencies for Adult Education and Skill Development”. Many NGO’s were also involved in working for Adult Education either independently or in partnership with the government.
The New Education Policy 2020 aims at achieving 100% literacy by 2030. It involves the concept of practical learning and skill development. This target cannot be possible without involving the Success of Adult Education schemes.
Problems Faced by Learners in Adult Education
There are many issues faced by the people opting for the Adult Education Programme.
- People cannot collaborate with family, job, and studies and therefore it is difficult for them to opt for the course.
- There are many courses which have a course fee included. Many people facing a financial crisis cannot afford for such courses.
- Many of the adult learners cannot develop the motivation to go to school once again, feel less confident and are not comfortable to attend the classes.
Adult education is very important for making India achieve higher literacy rates. There must be proper implementation of the programmes and policies launched for promoting adult education.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. Adult education was coined by Malcolm Knowles.
Ans. E.C Lindeman an American Educator is known as the father of adult education.
Ans. The three R's of Adult education are reading, writing, and arithmetic.
Ans. The motive of starting adult education was to eliminate the illiteracy rate in the nation.
Ans. The age group focused in NAEP was 15-35 years.