When we use the suffix ‘traffic’, the word jam sounds like a hassle in itself. This gives us the illusion of a hot summer day and a huge traffic jam. Sometimes it also reminds us of one of our worst traffic experiences.
Short and Long Essays on Traffic Jam in English
I have brought some of the best essays on this subject for you and hope these will help you in your school, college assignments, or other projects.
Traffic Jam Essay 10 Lines (100 – 150 Words)
1) Due to the congestion of vehicles on road, people may suffer from traffic jams.
2) Traffic jam leads to wastage of time and fuel.
3) Negligence of traffic police can be the reason for traffic jams.
4) Sometimes people are responsible for traffic jams.
5) Increasing population leads to more vehicles which results in increasing traffic jams.
6) Traffic jam is irritating and creates lots of noise pollution.
7) Cities usually suffer the problem of traffic jams.
8) Proper usage of odd and even rules can help in monitoring traffic jams.
9) Broader lanes for vehicles would be effective in reducing traffic jams.
10) Traffic jam is a major concern for emergency vehicles like ambulance and fire brigade.
Essay 1 (250 Words) – Traffic Jam: Reasons
Life is all about a mixture of achievements and failures, but most of us focus on the failures. Similarly, we like riding a car but when the same car gets stuck in a traffic jam, we feel horrible. We suffer a lot and it affects us in many ways.
What is a Traffic Jam?
When there are a lot of vehicles on a road and they get stuck at a place then it causes a traffic jam. It is harmful in many ways and we spend our precious time, petrol, and many other things in this jam. It irritates us and also causes air and noise pollution.
Reasons behind Traffic Jam
- I can blame overpopulation for a traffic jam. The growing population is also buying new cars day by day as a result; nowadays there are more than enough cars on road. We have a limited amount of natural resources like land, water, etc. We can’t make new roads in big cities to overcome the traffic issues and as a result, we face such type of jam.
- The second one is our roads; they are not very broad in many areas which cause traffic jams.
- The third reason is bad driving skills normally people don’t follow traffic rules in India and they try to opt for a shortcut. As a result, it causes a traffic jam.
Sometimes a jam can continue up to too many hours, which can be dangerous because there can also be an ambulance waiting to clear the jam. It is not beneficial in any way. We should make some strict rules and figure out a perfect solution to this problem.
Essay 2 (400 Words) – Traffic Congestion: Problems and Solutions
There are different challenges in every field either it is pollution or traffic. When the number of vehicles increases it also causes trouble like traffic jams, air pollution, road accidents, etc; still, we use them. But many of us do not follow traffic rules which cause traffic issues.
What is Traffic Congestion?
When there is more than the required number of vehicles at a place waiting to move forward and get stuck due to some reason then this scenario is stated as Traffic Congestion. It is one of the major issues in most of the countries. Even developed countries like America and China also face traffic lock for many hours. Sometimes these hours also change into days. Really it is horrible to be part of a traffic jam.
A nation will not be called developed only by having some basic facilities, but it also measures how it deals with a problem raised due to development? Nowadays every country can have a car manufacturing unit but the main issue is how to manage these many cars on roads or how to deal with the pollution caused by these cars?
How to Solve Traffic Congestion?
There are many ways which can neutralize this problem I have mentioned some of them below:
- Cities with narrow roads should construct some alternate routes to cover those lean roads. You can have an example of Mumbai, the new Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL) which connects Mumbai to Navi Mumbai and is 22.8 km. It has reduced a lot of traffic issues in Mumbai. Similarly, alternative ways should be searched to reduce traffic issues in the most congested areas.
- Different lane for different types of vehicles; for example, some people ride their car at a speed of 50 whereas some at 100. So, different lanes should be marked as per the speed of the vehicles, especially on the highways. This can control traffic jams and also accidents.
- Sometimes due to a lack of mechanical services, some cars or vehicles cause a traffic jam. So, these facilities should be available at every 50 km. This will save a lot of time and will also solve many traffic issues.
- Apart from the above activities, the government should take some actions by controlling the number of vehicles on a single line. As we have a limited amount of trains on a path and we know no new train can run on this path, similarly the government should start some rules for transport systems. So that there will be a limited number of vehicles on a particular road. One of the best examples is following the odd and even rule.
There are many ideas to control this issue and secondly it depends on us. Drive safe and in a proper way, this will also save you as well as others.
Essay 3 (500 – 600 Words) – Traffic Jam: Causes, Consequence, and Conclusion
All of us like development; but at the same time, we also face some problems like air pollution, the greenhouse effect, water pollution, etc, apart of pollution, overpopulation, availability of less natural resources, etc are some of the major issues. Similarly, there is something called traffic jam, which promotes noise pollution, air pollution, and many other issues.
Consequences of Traffic Jam
- One of the major drawbacks of a traffic jam is wastage of time, nowadays time is very precious, and what about if you spend 2 hours daily in a traffic jam? Really it consumes a lot of time. Some famous traffic jams across the world like in Los Angeles; there was a jam of 64.4 hours, following Honolulu 59.5 hours, etc. It can be so long and terrible.
- Traffic jam causes air pollution because it does allow people to switch off their vehicle, which results in the emission of harmful CFC gases and causes air pollution.
- It also wastes natural resources like other fuel and petrol.
- Traffic jam results in noise pollution which is not good in many ways and people get frustrated because of the noise.
- People suffer and are marked as latecomers in their offices or colleges because of traffic issues.
- Due to these traffic jams, people get frustrated and also reach office late which decreases their productivity and affects their career.
Some Major Causes of Traffic Jam
- Lack of different lanes for motorcycles, public transports, etc which leads to traffic jams in many countries. When everyone travels on the same road it will definitely cause a problem.
- Narrow roads are one of the major problems because there are certain areas like a marker, a crowded area, where shops cover the roadside as a result very narrow space is left for vehicles which causes traffic jams.
- Overpopulation is something that cannot be neglected. The population is growing day by day in the entire world as a result there are more transports on the roads. Even 6 lane roads are resulting in a traffic jam.
- There are some countries like India where people very seldom follow traffic rules which cause terrible traffic issues.
- All cities are not planned as a result some of them still have narrow roads or just a one-lane road which causes long traffic jams.
- Over construction like metro, flyovers, etc has also affected traffic a lot, although they are made to control the traffic issues but, in some areas, they are not successful.
- Climate also plays a very important role, in the rainy season most of the roads get blocked and blockage causes other issues which result in a traffic jam.
- There are very few cities in India with a regular footpath, it categorizes people and lack of these pathways sometimes causes long traffic jams.
- Sometimes stray animal blocks the road which causes traffic jam in many parts of the country.
How to Overcome Traffic Jams?
- Roads are one of the most important and basic needs and the government should solve all types of road issues so that people could easily ride and have a traffic-free journey.
- Having different lanes for cars, cycles and walking people will also reduce traffic issues.
- Lack of parking facilities; people park their car on the road which causes traffic jams, so malls and other shops should have enough parking spaces to avoid traffic issues.
- Promote public transport because this is one of the best ways to reduce the road population. Suppose four members of a house have four cars and each of them takes their car, this will really cause a traffic issue. So, either promote public transport or better to travel together in a single car at a time.
- Following traffic rules can also reduce traffic issues up to some extent.
There should be strict traffic rules and traffic police should have an eye on people. Our engineers should develop some smart gadgets for traffic police so that they can take some instant action. Apart from this, be a civil citizen of your country and follow all the rules to avoid any kind of discomfort.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. The traffic jam in Beijing city of China that cleared in 3 days was the longest traffic jam in the world.
Ans. Traffic jam is most common in the morning and evening time of the day.
Ans. It takes half an hour on average for clearing a traffic jam.
Ans. Traffic jams cause air and noise pollution that is not good for the environment and human health.