Cyber crime is the result of technological advancements. It is a dangerous crime involving the use of internet and computers. Cybercrime is undetectable at the initial phase but comes to notice with the consequences. Through this, the illegal transfer of data and information is made, which is of confidential value to an individual or a group.
Short and Long Essays on Cyber Crime
Essay 1 (250 Words) - Cyber Crime: A Threat to Society
Crime is a word used for wrong deed or offence, but when it comes to cybercrime then, it can be defined as a crime done by internet to cause an immeasurable loss to the individual, organization, or the government. Cyber crime is a punishable offence committed by cyber criminals.
Cyber Crime - A Threat to Society
Cyber crime is the criminal act which takes place over the internet through computers as tools or targets or other smart devices meant for making our work easier. The hacker or criminals are having various motives of the crime. They may be involved to cause a loss to an individual, some organization or government.
Several examples of cyber crime include frauds, identity theft, cyberstalking, creating and sending malware like viruses for destroying the systems or steal the data to make money. People involved in such activities find them as an easy way of making money. Even many of the well-educated and knowledge full persons are involved in such activities. Instead of using their mind in a positive way they employ themselves in cyber crime activities. Day by day this is becoming a great threat to our society and nation.
Cybercrime is the most prevailing crime in the present scenario, done through the internet. It causes a severe loss to the victim. Therefore some of the measures should be taken by us to avoid such crimes. The vigilant behaviour and following the safety protocols are only helping aids which can reduce the occurrence of cybercrime.
Essay 2 (400 Words) - Cyber Crime: Classification and Impacts
Man has been innovative and inventive by nature, since early ages. The different needs gave rise to new devices, tools, and technologies. Technology is also a discovery of man for making work easier. The advancement in technology is useful on one side and on the other side has some devastating effects. Cybercrime is also a negative aspect of these technological developments. The individual, organization and groups are involved in committing such criminal activities.
Classification of Cyber Crimes
- Crime Against an Individual - Crime committed against an individual by use of an individual’s credit card details, confidential data and sending of spam emails. This crime is mainly done for making money.
- Crime Against an Organization - This is done against a firm, company or organization to get unauthorized access to the data. This is done either to reveal the important data and employee details of the company or for money-making.
- Crime Against Government - This is the crime against the nation, by getting access to the national data and records. This crime is of main concern as it concerned with the safety of the people of the nation.
Impacts of Cyber Crime
Cyber crime has ruined up the lives of many. The people involved in cyber crime are called hackers.
- If we discuss on an individual level, the people affected with this are still trying to adjust the loss. Some have opted to commit suicide. The ultimate loss of money and any data which is confidential make the person helpless and left out in a painful situation.
- On an organization level, the loss is made by stealing the data of the company or destroying the system by malware so that it may not work till the terms and conditions of the criminal get fulfilled. The companies are at a greater loss as their strategies and important data is stolen and leaked out.
- The government is also the victim of this offence. Much confidential data is leaked as the result of cyber crime at the government level, risking the nation’s sovereignty. This is a serious issue as it may happen that the lives of people of the nation are threatened and frightened. The loss can be economical too. Many lakh and crore have been lost from the nation because of these cyber crimes.
Cyber crime is an offence related to the use of the internet. It is dealt with some important information to be leaked in public or money-making in an easy way. Therefore we should be practising some safety measures and security applications to prevent the crime.
Essay 3 (600 Words) - Cyber Crime
Cybercrime can be mentioned as illicit use of the internet and computers. The computers are either the target of the crimes or used as a weapon for the crime. These crimes have become a common part of our daily lives. Each and every day one or the other person is becoming the victim of cybercrime. Internet is accessed by a number of people at the same time for various purposes, these hackers make their way out of these opportunities.
Different Types of Cyber Crimes
- Phishing - This involves obtaining the personal information of the user by sending spam emails or by means of phishing website which resembles the same as authorized website.
- Identity Theft – This involves getting the information about credit or debit cards or bank details, further unwanted money can be easily deducted after the information is hacked.
- Malware Attacks – Malware is the hostile software which is designed to damage the computer or systems. This is done to access meaningful information or for doing some crime by using that system.
- ATM Frauds – The ATM machine is totally hacked in this crime. The criminals have developed the way to access both the data on the card along with the pin, further they are successful in making the duplicate of the cards and use the same to withdraw money.
- Cyber Stalking – The criminal is involved in following the person through online measures. They can even send malware to damage the systems to get the exact information. It involves harassment of the user.
- Pornography – The act of presenting sexual activity containing video, through pornographic websites.
- Spoofing – In this, an email is received and appears to be from some authentic source, but it is not the same. It is corrupted.
- Piracy – It is unauthorized access to the information which is confidential. Many of the times the government websites are hacked and files are pirated containing important data.
The First National Conference on National Crime Investigation and Crime Forensics
- Our nation India, for the first time had a national conference on national crime investigation held in New Delhi at headquarters of CBI (Central Bureau of Investigation) on 4 and 5 September 2019.
- The main motive of the conference was to create a common platform for the investigators, forensic teams and other officials involved to discuss various methods and ways to tackle the cyber-related crimes. The conference was of 2 days i.e. 4th and 5th September.
Cyber Crime Awareness
Different security measures should be followed to be safe from the dreadful act of cyber crime.
- Strong passwords should be used. The password must be a complex one, could not be possible to guess.
- Use antivirus programmes to keep the system free of malware.
- Continuously update the system.
- Be vigilant and use the presence of mind to avoid identity thefts.
- Make your children aware of the internet, so that they can state any misuse or harassment if they are going through.
- Maintain privacy settings over social media.
Cyber security is saving our system, network, devices, and programmes from the attack of malicious software. Thus the illegal accessing of data can be stopped.
Importance - The information regarding any important issue of the nation or any data which is meant to be used personally, if gets shared will create several problems. Therefore if there will be a security check imposed at several levels, the information and important data can be saved from leaking.
Types of Cyber Security
- Network Security - Protects the network from being attacked by malware and thus using a secure network.
- Cloud security - Meant for safeguarding the data in the cloud resources.
- Information security - Helps in protecting the data from unauthorized or illegal access.
- End-user security - The user should be conscious of while inserting any external devices in the system, opening any mail or links.
- Application security - helps in keeping the system and software free of any threat.
Cyber crime is spreading its arms day by day. The most appropriate way of being safe from becoming the victim of its ill effects is following security measures. There are various ways by which we can protect our confidential information from being leaked. We should always focus on awareness as - ‘Prevention is better than cure’, especially when the cure is not available.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Ans. Cybercrime started in the world in the 1970s.
Ans. Ian Murphy was the first cybercriminal in the world.
Ans. Karuppannan Jaishankar is regarded as the father of Cyber criminology.
Ans. The Yahoo v. Akash Arora case was the first cybercrime case in India that happened in 1999.
Ans. The United States of America has the highest number of cybercrimes in the world.